Monday, February 19, 2007

May Ball


The tickets are on sale!!!

Okay, for those of you who don’t know, a May Ball is sort of an end-of –the-year event in Cambridge. Each college has its own May Ball, with the smaller colleges having it maybe once every two or three years, while the bigger (or richer) colleges like Trinity have it every year (okay, for those who don’t know, Cambridge is a collegiate university comprising of 31 colleges). You have to buy tickets to go to these balls, and Trinity May Ball, arguably being the most popular May Ball in Cambridge, is one whose tickets are most sought after. For Trinity tickets, you have to buy them in pairs, one for yourself and the other for your guest, which may or may not be a Cambridge student. So people often ask around for Trinity students with spare tickets. Heck, I even got asked for a ticket within the first week after I first arrived in Cambridge. I didn’t go last year though since I stupidly forgot about the May Ball while planning my trip to Hungary. A few people have asked me about the tickets this year. One even wanted to ‘book’ it for next year but I declined, just in case I find a special someone to bring to the ball at that time, he he.

Anyway, the ticket application process is now ongoing and the deadline is this Friday. A pair of tickets is £215 for Trinity students. I’m still thinking about it, but I might go, and I’ll probably give (which means sell, of course) the spare ticket to a friend. A bit pricey, especially if you multiply it by seven to convert it to Malaysian Ringgit, but I figured a Trinity student should go to the ball at least once for the experience. Otherwise, it’ll be a shame.


Other colleges also have their May Balls and they sometimes advertise it with posters and the like. I walked to lecture this morning and I saw these green balloons everywhere. Turned out they're advertising the Robinson May Ball. Ha ha, pretty cool.




Yaz.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read it as "my ball" instead of "May ball". haha, thats what happened if you try to read right after a 40-minute run on a treadmill. hehe
u should deffinitely go!! Think it as a 3-D facebook. =P. Do you have to dance or sumthing?