Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Drawing blanks

Don’t you hate it when you open up your work, read them a bit, and try to understand the bits and pieces but all that comes out are blanks? Isn’t it annoying when they all seem like Greek* to you?

I mention on the other post that I had a sore throat. Well, at some point last weekend it turned into a cold. What’s worst is that I have a deadline coming and I was planning on making full use of the weekend to finish the work but because I was sick I wasn’t able to think at all. It was frustrating.

Late Sunday night, I call my friend. Or rather, he called me to ask about the exercise. I told him that I have no idea how to proceed.

“Is it alright if I come over? I might need help on this one,” I said to him.

“It’s so unlike you.”

I ended up asking him about almost every step of the exercise. Usually, I don’t like doing that because it defeats the purpose of the coursework itself but at that time I was in a no position to argue. I just hope that later I’ll be feeling better after a good sleep and able to get my brain functioning.

I hate being sick.

***

The next morning. I woke up feeling refreshed, had breakfast and managed to finish a huge chunk of the exercise: some formula derivation using numerical integration together with an economic analysis. I even managed to do a ‘spare’ derivation using smaller step size for the integration which I can use instead of the first derivation if I feel like it. Ooooh, the joys of being well again and having your brains functioning back to normal. It feels gooood!!

Yaz.


* My lecturer made this joke while doing some formula manipulation which consists of loads of Greek letters. Okay, maybe it’s not a burst-your-stomach-laughing kind of joke but it’s still one of those thing that makes you smile, albeit often accompanied by a shake of the head.

No comments: