Thursday, March 08, 2007

Accents

Last year, there were about six hundred people in my natural science course. I'm pretty sure one or two of them are Malaysians but our paths don't intertwine, so I don't know who they are, if any. This year, though, we have only about fifty people in the chemical engineering department, in which four, including me, are Malaysians. Hence, I sometimes get the chance of hearing the Malaysian English accent being used.

So, what brings this about? I was just discussing the Malaysian accent with a friend this morning, but when I tried to demonstrate it I failed. It made me very frustrated. The thing is I realised a long time ago that I don't have a Manglish accent, and never will, no matter how I tried. Sometimes when I speak with the Malaysians they tend to slip into using the accent while I continue using normal English. Yeah, that felt awkward.

A funny thing is that I probably have a better Northern Ireland accent than a Malaysian accent. That comes with living with a Northern Ireland girl for two years. And having an Irish lecturer helps too.

Yaz.

1 comment:

Adam Ahmad said...

I have a good malaysian accent :P hihi