Sunday, April 16, 2006

Cacophony of Cambridge

I love the weekends. Especially when it's not gloomy, unlike today. I made a habit of going around walking randomly around Cambridge every day. Can't really pinpoint why I do it, probably because it's quite relaxing in a way,and I often go out and walk when I'm taking a break from doing work. I've had this habit since, well, forever. I'm pretty sure some of my friends would recall the numerous strolls that I had done in secondary school during prep time, weekends and in the middle of the night. I guess that sort of carries on here. Anyway, I sort of like walking around Cambridge in the weekends because that's when the denizens come out and fill the streets. At any other day it doesn't seem that there's many people around but during weekends you can see the families, kids and parents and all shopping or eating or doing whatever things they do. A nice change of scenery after being isolated from the world in the middle of nowhere somewhere in South Wales.

One thing about Cambridge is the mixture of sounds that you can hear. I live in the town centre, right smack next to a busy road and while it's endurable, sometimes it's quite annoying to hear drunk people shouting and singing off-key passing by in the middle of the night. Then there's this Big Issue magazine seller who hollers out to people to buy his mags and there's also this other guy who sings Green Day loud. VERY loud. He seems to be gone lately, not that I miss him.

Basically, as long as it's not anywhere near my place, it's fine by me. Can even be quite amusing. I mean, you're just walking and you see some chaps singing or playing the keyboard or guitar or harmonica. There was this percussion band the other day,complete with drums and tambourines and all. Yesterday there were these three guys with drums. Where did those come from? I think they just did it for the fun of it.














I recorded a video of the band but until I figure out how to embed videos in my blog, you just have to take my word for it.

Holiday's almost over. With only one week left, guess I have to work my socks off very soon. Sigh...

Yaz.

2 comments:

Adam Ahmad said...

yj. when can i taste ur apple crumble? :P

yazid jay said...

Sure, come up here to Cambridge ;)