Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Philosophy

…isn’t something that I’m really fond of. I tend to like things simple, and am not really keen on questions that make unnecessarily complicated mess out of simple things. Well, another word for that is simple-minded, I suppose. But whatever. There’s nothing that says I have to like it, especially when a philosophical argument can take ages and ages and not go anywhere. And it’s really hard to take seriously a subject that cogitates on the purpose of life (often confusingly) when Muslims can think of the answer to that in a heartbeat. Anyway, to each his own, I guess.

It was breakfast in Trinity College dining hall, and I was sitting near a bunch of Maths students, and they were having a profoundly deep philosophical discussion about something that I can’t remember. Somebody might have asked me something, or I might have joined in the conversation, but I said something like, “I don’t really like philosophy. It tends to make simple things complicated.” There were a few moments of silence, and they all looked at me like I was from outer space.

Ooops!

Ironically, on the other hand, I’ve just watched ‘I Heart Huckabees’, and I liked it.

Yaz.

No comments: