Saturday, July 01, 2006

The search and anticipation

29th of June. Says the sheet of paper in my tutor’s office. That’s when the results will be out.

It was last Thursday. I attached the phone line to my laptop, filled with anxiety. Will I do okay? Will it flop? Will I suffer from embarrassment?

Oh, you’re gonna get a first
, says Hamza.

I just stared at him incredulously.

Even I don’t know what to expect. How can you know? I asked.

Oh, I just know. Don’t worry too much about it.

See what I mean by suffering from embarrassment? Somehow, and I can’t really explain how, a few people expected me to get a first. I mean, I didn’t come across as mister know-it-all. Heck, I had enough difficulty finishing my work. And Hamza had only become my supervision partner for a month. How would he know?

A message across the screen. The password and username’s invalid on the domain. Drat! Why is this happening now?

I only managed to log in 24 hours later. Sigh…the anticipation is killing me.

Checked my Cambridge e-mail. Nope, nothing. Tried the university website. Still nothing.

There’s one more thing to do. The problem is, I’m not sure whether to do it or not.

Ubaid’s online on messenger. He’s staying in Cambridge for the summer. I could ask him to go to the Senate House and check my result. But, that means letting somebody else know it first, and I was trying to keep it to myself. Just in case it turned out awful. Which, come to think about it, is pretty ridiculous since they will know about it sooner or later. Oh well, I’ll keep that option aside for the time being and just wait awhile.

Checked again this morning. Got two new e-mails. My tutor’s secretary and director of studies.

OMG. This is it! Pass? Flop? Just a click of a mouse…

Total mark 275/375. Rank 65/588.

My DoS said… This was a good First. Many congratulations indeed on a truly excellent
result!


I felt like shouting.

Yaz.

7 comments:

Adam Ahmad said...

nak congratulate ke tanak ek? i mean, u obviously expected this so, it is pointless to say congratulations to u :)

Adam Ahmad said...

wei. taula dapat first. update la!!

yazid jay said...

Hehe, patience young one.

Wait till I get out of this doldrum...

Adam Ahmad said...

that's the second time i read that word 'doldrum'.

ChemGrad said...

err..what is doldrum?

nice blog..bloghopping from archivelore..

cheers!

(shah) 샿룰™ said...

so kid sampai sini gak...

you pass... congratz yaid oooiiii...

yazid jay said...

huhu, silap eja, sebenarnya doldrums (period os stagnation, slump or depression).

chep, saper yaid? =)