Thursday, July 13, 2006

It’s a scam

Congratulations, said the SMS. Your SIM card has won RM.7000 from Akademi Fantasia 4.

I was speechless.

So, what am I expected to do right now? Jump up and down, screaming my hearts out? Go and hug everybody in the vicinity? I mean, I won some big bucks, right?

Jeez, do I look like an idiot?

So what gives? Gee, probably the fact that I’ve never watched a single episode of AF in my entire life.

(And as a side note: No, I don’t regret not watching it, I am not tempted to watch it and I don’t intend to watch it anytime soon, not that I have anything against AF)

I’m seething. I mean, come on, it’s glaringly obvious what the SMS is. I know how the scam works…you send random SMS (or e-mail or whatever) to people, most ignore it but there will be some who are naïve enough to swallow the whole thing, hook, line and sinker. And they reply back and you cheated their money out of them. I know I should ignore it but it kept feeling like a blow, feels like I’ve been treated like an imbecile. And that somewhere out there there’s someone who laughs at the stupidity of people while counting the money he or she is making.

I hate being treated like an idiot.

A point to ponder is… the schemes can’t exist if people don’t fall for them, right? Are some people really that stupid? I mean, look at all the junk e-mails about Nigerian bank accounts or lottery winnings that circulate the internet. Or all the postings about Friendster is closing down (this one hits a bit close to home… not me…but I can’t believe people whom I knew will fall for that shite) or chain letters. I cringe everytime I open Friendster and found those posts (especially if they’re being messages sent to me). I try not to look at who sent/ posted it, knowing that I will have the urge to whack their heads to set them straight.

So yeah, I’m being bitter because I got mad somebody sent me that irksome SMS. Probably won’t be mad in a few more days. But in the meantime, to put me in a better mood, I’ll probably go watch anime or something.

Yaz.

3 comments:

Adam Ahmad said...

don't tell me that you actually believed that at first.

yazid jay said...

The third paragraph, I was being sarcastic.

I was just mad. I mean, that is blatantly a lie. The nerve of some people.

ChemGrad said...

berdua jek?