Monday, May 08, 2006

Punting anyone?

My junior from Atlantic College sent me an SMS the other day asking if he can visit Cambridge before going back to Malaysia. Seeing that I will have exams on the 9th and a trip to Hungary straight after that, I told him I’ll be busy. He’s persistent, though, and being the kind-hearted bloke that I am, I think I ended up agreeing to it, heh heh. Oh well, I guess a weekend distraction a week before your exams will not hurt…much.

I just found out that besides the punts owned by the punting companies, Trinity College also has its own punts that I can hire. Guess what the price is? One pound per hour! Gosh, that’s like, one of the cheapest things ever. For those who don’t know, punts are these boat-like things that you steer using long wooden poles instead of an oar. It’s the main activity that goes along River Cam.

With the weather being ‘summer-like’, amateur punters have sprouted out of nowhere. Sometimes, when I stop by the bridge, it’s really amusing to see these people who obviously have no idea how to punt try and go about it. By these people, I mean Brits, coz the Asian tourists all go on the guided tour punts, with tour guides and everything.


Ooooooooo, punting traffic jam!


Sheesh, it's punting, not a tightrope balancing act.


There's this punt that passes under the bridge. Somehow, the pole got stuck at the bridge and they have to paddle to get it back.



On a side note, you don't really have to use the paddle. It's just there for emergency precautions.

So yeah, when my junior comes, I’ll definitely hire one of those punts coz I never steered one of those things before. I’ve been punting, but only on the guided tour ones (paid about £10 for that). On that note, I now feel deeply obliged to apologise to Keste for not noticing this earlier, hehe. O’ Keste, forgive my humble and unworthy self. Also, apologies for not realising that as a Cambridge student, I can enter any of the colleges for free. Please don’t kill me. Of course, if you want you can always visit Cambridge again : ]

Yaz, the ecstatic punter-wannabe.

1 comment:

Adam Ahmad said...

OMG. you are so jahat. and since ur exams starts on the 9th and my exam dah abih dah mase tuh. i can come and distract u jugak. haha. not that u need to study pun kan :P