Saturday, August 05, 2006

Time to invest

I never really give much thought to investing before. Reasons include the fact that as a student, I don’t have that much money that I can spare to begin with. Now I’m a bit more well off, but I still didn’t think about it until recently, when two different people pointed out to me that you can benefit a lot from it.

Went to Midvalley the other day…errr, by myself. Not that I can’t find people to go with, just that sometimes I like exploring on my own. So there I met a friend of mine who attended AC together, and we chatted a bit. The topic of investing came up and it piqued my interest. I remember staring incredulously at my HSBC bank account in the UK, wondering why is it that my interest is only a few pence. I mean, that’s absurdly low, isn’t it? And my savings isn’t really that little.

So on Wednesday, out of a sudden my mom suddenly jumped me with the idea of going to ASNB (to invest). I swear, that’s so out of the blue. So anyway, we went to the bank first and I changed my money there (they were still in pounds, no point in changing all of them to ringgit and then pounds again when I go back to the UK). Didn’t go to the money changer because we’re in a hurry. Guess what the person at the counter says.

“Tak boleh terima duit ni dik, buruk. Nanti orang tak mahu beli.” (I can’t accept these notes, they’re in horrible condition. People will not want to buy it).

I was like, what?? Okay, the notes are obviously not in mint condition, but nor are they horribly torn or whatever. A bit worn, but they’re just fine! In fact, that’s the condition that I got them from an ATM in Cambridge. If they’re good enough for an ATM machine, then I can’t see why not for a bank.

We went to another bank, and they accepted the notes just fine.

*gives the first bank the evil eye*

So yeppers, I opened my ASB account that day. Somehow I have this daydream of being rich and getting periodical large sums of money from the account. I know, I know, not gonna happen, but hey, everybody dreams of being rich from time to time.

By the way, I checked, and the pounds-RM exchange rate is higher than the last time. Yay!! Yaz is happy.

(Thrifty)Yaz.

1 comment:

Adam Ahmad said...

go ahead. save a LOT of money. we will need a LOT of them later :)