Sunday, June 08, 2008

And It’s Done!

Phew! After five weeks of hard work, the Design Project had come to an end. We had to submit the final report on Thursday and make a PowerPoint presentation on Friday. Oh, the best presentation got £300 as a prize. Unfortunately, that’s not my team but then again, I don’t care that much.

To me, this is the worst report that I’ve ever done. I think most of us don’t have a clear idea of how much work is demanded from us, at least in the beginning. I saw the people in charge of the reactor section staying in the computer lab from day one until the last week, inundated with spreadsheets. I thought I was ahead of my work when I finished the main body of both my reports, only to find that a lot have to be put into the appendices and calculation folder, and that I don’t have enough time. If it’s just two or three people, then you can say they have bad time management, but out of the fifty-something chemical engineering students, around twenty stayed in the department from midnight until six a.m. on the last day trying to complete their work. The design project really put a strain on us all.

Fortunately, unlike some stories that I hear about last year’s students (and some of this year’s), my group doesn’t have any internal discordance, which is good. We have enough on our plate already without any added problems.

Anyway, I’m glad that it’s over. Even though we really did learn a lot from it, I prefer a normal exam any day. Let’s hope my exam marks are high enough to compensate my would-be-low marks on the design project.

That’s all for now, I guess. I’m off to listen to some singing on the rooftops at Trinity College. It should be good. See ya.

Yaz.

No comments: