Tuesday, December 05, 2006

An irksome exaggeration

I went to breakfast this morning and what ho – the hall is full of interview candidates again. Sat amongst them since I’m interested in hearing what they thought about this interview process and Cambridge in general. I was about to open my mouth and say something when this student came, sat with us and started talking.

I listened for a few minutes when I was like, “What the heck?!” The guy was giving a really skewed description of Trinity! He said that the porters in the college treated girls differently than guys because they are prettier. He also said that college formals are divided into two parts: the one when the fellows are there and the one when they aren’t, in which the formals will turn into a raucous party. I was thinking, “Oh. My. God!” and had to refrain myself from blurting out that NO – the porters don’t have a predisposition towards girls; NO – formal halls aren’t always being out-of-control and disorderly and we definitely DO NOT have to report to our tutors for being rowdy and wild in formals every time because that DOESN’T HAPPEN OFTEN! What is he telling these people??

So when the guy was gone, I talked to one of the candidates, “Hey, whatever he said, just take it with a pinch of salt because it’s not necessarily true.”

He replied, “I know. I met the porters before and they’re really nice.”

How I love people with common sense.

Yaz.

No comments: