Sunday, March 15, 2009

They Have Something Against Me

Last Friday marked the final day of Lent term in Cambridge, which means now is officially the Easter holiday. A few of my friends have already left for their respective homes while some are staying here for a few weeks to do a bit of revision. For me, I wouldn’t really call it a holiday since I have to write a research project report, a CFD report and finish some supervision work, not to mention I have an interview coming, but for once it’s nice to study without having lectures crammed into your timetable as well.

Anyway, let’s get back to last Friday. In case you don’t know, Trinity College has this thing called the Commemoration Dinner, held annually, in which we propose a toast to the college for all its contributions and the things that it provided us with. Another name for this event is the Scholar’s Dinner since from the whole student population, only Scholars (Junior and Senior) are invited. Well, usually they do have a few extra spaces so they might invite some other students, but that’s a minor point. And Research Scholars are most probably invited as well, though I don’t know any so I’m not sure.

Because I was a Scholar since my 2nd year, this year is my third year attending the commemoration dinner. And the way the event is held is like this: Trinity has this great hall that it used for dining, so most of the attendees are sitting in here. However, there’s also this smaller room nearby, called the Old Kitchen where the rest of the dinner attendees and the choir sit. The disadvantages of being in the Old Kitchen are that you can’t enjoy the dinner under the grandeur of the Great Hall; you only get to listen to the speeches from a speaker since the important people will all be in the Hall; and lastly, you have to move into the Great Hall during the intervals if you want to listen to the choir singing, since they will sing from a balcony there.

The seating in the Commemoration Dinner is supposed to be random, so in some years you might be in the Hall and in other years you won’t. However, the number of people seated in the Old Kitchen is far less than in the Hall, so you’re more likely to end up in the Hall. However, in all the three years that I attended the Commemoration Dinner (and in my Matriculation Dinner as well, so that makes it four dinners in four years) I’ve always been seated in the Old Kitchen. Every. Single. Time.

So yeah, I think they have something against me. Grrrrrr...

Sigh... oh well. At least the food was good. I remember this one time they made some smoked salmon with orange sauce for starter. That was dreamy. And this year for the main course I had mushrooms in some herb sauce. It tasted delicious, albeit being too rich so I didn’t managed to finish all that’s on my plate. Maybe it was because they put too much there, since most other people chose the non-vegetarian option, so they have a lot of the mushrooms left. And I drank three cups of the coffee served at the end, which probably explains my tossings and turnings in bed later that night.

Yaz.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

peace...green peas...pie...and bake bean...which one is the best?

Anonymous said...

just imagine...don't try anything.just imagine...maybe i am the last person who notice....class of 2002 has a website....feeling like i am a frog....huhuhu..

yazid jay said...

Hmmm, whirled peas? Hahaha.

Anyway, Chef, is that you? Yes, I DO notice we have a website. I put it in my news feed as well, so if there's something new being posted then I'd know.

I think it's just that people tend to forget about it. Maybe it needs more exposure? I don't know how many of us actually know how to use a feed reader, but maybe we can have an email feature (send to people's email) everytime something is posted there. That way at least people will get a reminder that the website still exists. Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

no..I'm not Chef or a chef..also not a chief..my name is izwan.don't ask which izwan..only one izwan with mentioned conditions..

Anonymous said...

no..I'm not Chef or a chef..also not a chief..my name is izwan.don't ask which izwan..only one izwan with mentioned conditions..