Monday, September 22, 2008

Summer Holiday, PhD, and Clocks

Right, after twelve weeks of working on a research project, I’m finally having my (long overdue) summer holiday. It feels so good not to have to walk for half an hour every morning to West Cambridge and have sandwiches for lunch instead of a proper hall meal. Not that I’m having lunch anyway since now is the fasting month. Still, it was a good experience and I learnt a lot, though I secretly envied Will, my engineering colleague who got to play around with the finite elements method in his research project whereas I’m only using the simpler finite difference method. But I suppose it’s only fair since he learnt about it beforehand in his course so he got to use the more advanced one while I don’t really know anything in the beginning so I got to handle the less complex method.

For those who have no idea what I’m talking about, the finite elements/difference methods are usually used in computer modeling to solve differential equations. And if you can’t make heads or tails what that last sentence is about, then don’t bother.

So anyway, as much as I love the summer project, I’m just about bursting to have a proper holiday with no obligations to do anything whatsoever. And I reckon I have about two weeks worth of holiday from now until the 7th of October. It’s probably a bit too late to call it summer holiday though, but who cares? And my plans for this holiday is to rest, play games and catch up on my reading, since I seem to have accumulated several fiction and bunches of Economist magazines on my bookshelf that I haven’t read yet. Also, I think I’ll learn LaTeX, since everybody around me seems to know how to use it. I’ve already installed the necessary components on my computer and borrowed a book from the library. While we’re at it, I’ll see if I can learn AutoCad too, and I’ll try to fit Photoshop in there as well. Is that a bit too ambitious, you think?

Yesterday, Lennart asked me if I want to do a PhD. My supervisor also asked me the same thing about ten days ago after he said he’s impressed and satisfied with my work, and I realized the subliminal message behind his question is Would you be interested in doing research in this field, in this institute after you graduate? I told him I will be going back to Malaysia to work. But really, the answer to the question of whether I want to do a PhD or not is of course yes! Those who know me will probably have guessed how I feel, but the thing is… I will graduate with an M.Eng Degree, and there’s this one more step, one more academic level just beyond that. It’s just… there, the end of the conveyor belt. And it’s not like it’s rare or very difficult, since tons of people are doing their PhD every year. So I feel that if I don’t do it, it’ll be something that I regret, like I haven’t completed the journey that I’ve started. I guess I'll ask around and see what opportunities are available for me, so we'll see how it goes.

Aaaaanyway, I was walking around Cambridge this morning when I spied this strange golden apparatus at the corner of Corpus Christi College. There were also other people around, staring and taking pictures. I know I’ve seen this in the news recently, but I can’t remember much except that it involves Stephen Hawking and clocks and stuff. So I checked back and this is what I found. And this.

Here's a photo that I've taken:

And here's a closer look:

Cool, huh? Albeit a bit odd.

Yaz.


Edit: If you want to know more on how it works, there's an excellent youtube video about the clock here.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yazid Jay Jaylani,,,, haha... in my opinion... go for it.. if u get the chance to do a PhD... do it.. but then again.. really.. if ur not going to the education sector.. it isnt much of a use.. i think.. haha.. but.. just do it.. for the sake of experience and educational wise.. ekeke. :) ..

yazid jay said...

Haha, thanks Zai for the encouragement. Even though, I think 'PhD's are only for the education sector' is a bit of a misconception. I certainly have no desire (at least, not at the moment) to become a lecturer or the like.

During my short while in Cambridge, I've seen a number of PhD research projects that are born out of collaboration between universities and companies/industry. Even a few of the final year research projects. So a PhD qualification isn't limited to the education sector only but is also very relevant in the industrial sector, ESPECIALLY in R&D. I think a PhD is very useful and advantageous if you're going into something like industrial research. That, and the employment chart in the Cambridge Chem. Eng. website told me so =)

Anonymous said...

well... we can use PhD in Research fields but then.. if we are working in malaysia... i dont know.. haha.. but i do hope Malaysians would step up and do 'real' research in the future..