Thursday, September 27, 2007

Hey there!

I’m now back in Cambridge. Well, actually, this is the third day since I’m back so it’s not really a big deal anymore, which also means I should have posted this sooner (e.g. the first day) but it wasn’t easy to move stuff and set the place to how I like it to be lived in. Ever tried moving ten boxes from one end of the college to another? My advice: avoid if possible, especially when none of your friends are back yet to help with it.

Speaking of which, my room this year is great! The first thing I noticed, and also the thing that most prominently makes this place worthwhile is it has a fridge installed! It also has a sort of mock fireplace that has been boarded up, which is a pity. The downside of the room, however, is that the kitchen is downstairs, so I have to walk a bit to cook.

Computer table

Bed and studying table

Fridge. Left door is the way out. Right door is the bathroom


Actually, by far, the best room I’ve ever lived in is the one in my first year. I’ll give a quick rundown:

1st year

Pros

  • Best room ever. Enormous! Like my across-the-hallway-neighbour Dom said, “Compared to yours mine is like a box.” Actually, it's not really that much bigger but you get the idea.
  • Has a fridge, two tables (one for studying and the other for computer), lots of sofas, mock fireplace, and a proper bookshelf.
  • Kitchen’s just nearby

Cons

  • The only thing I can think of is that it’s located on the road where Sainsbury’s is, so it can be a bit noisy at times. Also in the morning it faces the sun so you will often be woken up by it, although this might be a good thing. It depends.

2nd year

Pros

  • Biiiiggg wardrobes. Lots of storage space.

Cons

  • Far from Sainsbury’s, my department and the dining hall.
  • No fridge in the room
  • Kitchen has no oven. Also if you cook in the afternoon it will get really hot because of the sun.

3rd year

Pros

  • Fridge in room, two tables, boarded-up mock fireplace…
  • Not far from my 1st year room so it is also strategically located

Cons

  • Kitchen far away
  • Not much storage space, though I’ll probably manage to squeeze my bags and boxes somewhere…

Oh, and just to mention, all those room have en-suite bathrooms. I can’t live without it.

I’m a senior scholar this year, which means I get first dibs on choosing the rooms. Guess I’ll choose properly this time, with research, room visits etc unlike last year where I actually didn’t know what the room looks like until now.

Classes will not start until next Wednesday so I have plenty of time to relax/do nothing/get bored. At the moment I’m in a One Piece marathon. Episode 120 something and counting…

Yaz.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Compared to your room, mine looks like a shoebox!

Anonymous said...

agak central... nanti boleh la buat hos makan2 pulak